If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
The best shower drain hair catcher will save you money as you won’t have to look for a plumber to unblock the drain. It will also prevent hair and other foreign objects from entering the drain while still allowing maximum water flow.
- Our Top Shower Drain Catcher Reviews
- Shower Drain Hair Catcher Features and Considerations
- Wrap Up
Our Top Shower Drain Catcher Reviews
Below, we have compiled a list of the top shower drain hair catchers to prevent your drains from clogging. We have also included a detailed guide to help you find the perfect hair catcher for your needs.
Best Overall Shower Drain Catcher: TubShroom Drain Protector
The TubShroom is an innovative drain catcher that works quite well for pet and human hair. One great feature of this product that you will definitely like is the stopper. It can collect all the hair that drains inside as it fits the bathtub drain snugly thus preventing you from cleaning the clogged drain.
All you have to do is to fix it in your tub and allow it to do its job. We also like its unique mushroom design that allows a lot of water to flow through while collecting the hair and other debris. Plus, it can fit any standard tub drain effortlessly without issues.
The TubShroom drain catcher is perfect for homeowners looking for a durable product as it is built using industrial-strength silicone material. It also comes in five different colors to suit your bathroom décor.
When it comes to installation, you don’t need any special tools. If you have a drain cover, remove it with a screwdriver then replace it with this hair catcher. Moreover, cleaning it is easy since no chemicals are required. Just remove the hair catcher and then wipe it with a dry towel to catch the collected hair.
Another remarkable thing you may like is that it consists of soft material that won’t hurt your body or stab your feet. This drain catcher is also resistant to rust, corrosion and discoloration, which makes it perfect for long-term use.
Although this shower hair catcher fits any standard 1.5 inches bathroom sink drain or 1.5 inches bathroom tub, it is not great for shower stall drains. However, it captures debris and hair efficiently. If you keep struggling to unclog your drains, get this drain catcher a chance.
What We Like
- The mushroom design that allows for maximum water flow
- The stopper that collects all the debris that goes inside
- Fits any standard bathtub drain
- Great for pet and human hair
- Easy to install and use
What We Don’t Like
- The silicone is a bit flimsy
- Doesn’t fit in every plug
- Requires regular cleaning
- A Revolution in Drain Protection: Unlike regular plugs that go over the drain, TubShroom fits...
- No More Clogged Drains: Our bathtub drain strainer fits any standard tub drain and is guaranteed to...
- Save Money and the Environment: A single plumber visit can cost hundreds. Drain snakes and liquid...
Best Shower Drain Catcher for the Money: OXO Good Grips Drain Protector
The Oxo Good Grips is another quality drain hair catcher that is ideal for preventing hair clogs. The flat protector comes with incredible features that make it a great addition to your cleaning appliances, especially if you are struggling with unclogging your drains.
It also sits perfectly on top of the drain to grab hair and unwanted items. Moreover, its flat design won’t get in your way while you are cleaning. One notable feature you may like is its tall dome shape that fits both flat and pop-up drains perfectly.
The shape makes fitting this protector over different types of bathtub drains an easy task. It also has a unique hole pattern that allows water to drain while catching all the hair. Additionally, its silicone trim will ensure it stays in place without sliding around.
You can also fit the Oxo drain catcher over your shower stall drains without experiencing any difficulties. Another good thing about this hair catcher is the rust-proof stainless steel design that makes it reliable and durable.
This product also comes with a suction cup that ensures the stopper remains in place on the shower or tub floor. The only major drawback of this drain protector is that it slows down water flow and is available in one color.
However, this should not be a big issue because it has a stylish design that will compliment your bathtub décor. It also works as advertised and is reasonably priced.
Overall, this is a great drain protector that is ideal for standard drains as it won’t disrupt the normal flow rate through the drain. It will also keep your bathroom sparkling clean while protecting your drains from hair.
What We Like
- Its tall dome shape that accommodates both flat and pop-up drains
- The silicone trim that prevents it from sliding around
- Its rust-proof stainless steel design
- Perfect for utility sink drains
- Ability to catch hair effectively
What We Don’t Like
- The sides do not cling to the protector’s edge
- Slows down water flow
- Limited color options
- Fits over shower stall drains without getting in the way
- Effectively catches hair without blocking water drainage
- Soft, non-slip, silicone rim keep Drain Protector in place
Best Cheap Shower Drain Catcher: Danco Tub Drain Protector
The Danco Tub fits the bill of one of the best drain protectors on the market as it ensures no hair or other debris escapes down the drain. It also has an amazing flower-shaped design that catches hair before it goes down the drain.
Interestingly, this drain catcher features a double-action system that ensures no hair escapes its clutches. First, its unique pegs prevent errant hair from heading down the drain. If some smaller pieces of hair manage to escape, the basket strainer will eliminate it.
One notable thing about the Danco drain protector is that it’s built to fit drains with diameters measuring 4 to 4.5 inches. It also has several holes for water drainage while still collecting the hair and other foreign objects.
The hair catcher boasts of white finish that blends with your existing fixtures perfectly. Additionally, this hair catcher is built using PVC material to ensure it fits any type of drain while holding up well. The material is also strong enough to withstand multiple uses.
With this drain protector, you won’t have to look for a plumber to check your water pipes for potential blockage as it will keep your pipes free of hair and other unwanted objects. Moreover, the finger lift removal makes washing and maintaining this drain catcher a breeze.
Plus, no tools are required to install it and you will enjoy plenty of flowing water after you have installed it. Although some users think it is smaller, it still does the job perfectly. If you don’t like touching a clogged drain, get this product as it prevents clogged drains caused by different types of foreign objects
What We Like
- The white finish that blends well with existing fixtures
- Its double-action hair catching system
- Has several holes for water drainage
- Works perfectly to eliminate clogs
- Durable construction
What We Don’t Like
- Does not remain in place
- Too soft and flimsy
- Tends to bubble up
- PREVENT CLOGGED DRAINS and slow water drainage with the Danco Tub Hair Catcher, unlike “in...
- BEST OVERALL INNOVATIVE DRAIN PROTECTOR & CLOG PREVENTION with a flower shape equipped with unique...
- STOP CLEANING SMELLY, GUNKY & GROSS “IN-DRAIN” HAIR CATHERS! The Danco Tub Hair Catcher SITS ON...
Shower Drain Hair Catcher Features and Considerations
When looking for a drain protector, it’s advisable to go for a product that will trap the hair before heading down the drain. So, what factors should you consider when choosing the best shower drain hair catcher? Let’s take a look at the features to pay attention to while shopping.
Type of Drain Catcher
When searching for your drain protector, you will come across these two main types:
In-Drain Hair Catcher
This drain protector captures hair and other unwanted items immediately after entering the drain. However, it may be a bit difficult to install, especially if you have a drain cover because you will have to remove it.
You may also fail to notice when you need to clean it because it is installed inside the drain. So, you should inspect it regularly to check if it requires emptying.
Shower Drain Catcher
This hair catcher grabs hair before it slips in the drain. To install it, put it over the drain to collect the hair and then empty it once it is full. The only issue with this type of catcher is that it doesn’t remain in place.
To avoid dealing with this issue, we recommend choosing a drain catcher with a suction cup.
Hair Catcher Design
We recommend choosing a drain protector with efficient design. Ensure the design has suction cups to enable the catcher to remain in place. The design should also have innovative hole patterns to allow water to flow smoothly while preventing hair from heading down the drain.
Most shower drain protectors can fit standard-sized drains perfectly. This means if your shower drain is of standard size, you won’t spend a lot of time looking for a catcher.
However, you need to check the measurements of the drain catcher you intend to buy, especially if your drain is not standard-sized.
Materials and Construction
It’s important to consider the material of your catcher since manufacturers use different types of materials. Although a plastic hair catcher tends to be cheap, you shouldn’t go for it unless you are planning to throw it away once it accumulates too much dirt.
Additionally, plastic materials catch too much mold and mildew easily and are also flimsy. Some materials don’t even last long enough due to rusting. If you want drain protectors that consist of sturdy materials, consider checking these materials:
- Stainless Steel: These drain protectors are durable and rust-resistant. However, some of them don’t remain in place.
- Silicone: Unlike their stainless steel counterparts, silicone catchers do not slip around the shower and are easy to clean.
Size of Drain Holes
It is also crucial to check the size of drain catcher holes since tiny holes can prevent water from flowing down the drain. Although catchers with small holes are ideal for catching a lot of hair, they tend to clog quickly.
Due to this, you will have to clean the catchers regularly or risk showering in standing water. On the other hand, shower drain hair catchers with large holes will allow a lot of hair to escape.
So, how do you find the perfect balance? Pick the drain protector with the right hole size; not too large or too small.
- Installation Type: This is another crucial consideration as there are various installation systems available. Some common installation systems include:
- Against the Wall Installation: Shower drains with this installation system are usually mounted against the wall. However, the positioning can be tailored to your needs upon request.
- Wall-to-Wall Installation: This installation method involves fixing the shower head tightly from one wall to another. If this is your preferred installation system, you will have to take accurate measurements of your wall.
- Centre Pitch Installation: With this system, the drainpipe will be installed in the middle of the shower. However, if you want the surrounding four floors to pitch towards the discharging, turn them around.
- Threshold Installation: This installation system requires you to buy a shower drain that can fit the distance between the walls to prevent water spills from entering your showering section. Due to this, you should make a wide drain to collect all the water.
Drains are vulnerable to different issues such as clogging due to hair and other foreign objects going down the drain. In turn, this can affect your flow rate and cause your toilet or bathroom to flood.
For this reason, we recommend looking for drain protectors that are easy to clean before purchasing. This will also ensure your catcher serves you for a long period.
Ease of Cleaning
If you want your drain hair catcher to remain effective, you need to take it off to remove the unwanted debris it has collected. Due to this, you should ensure that you can remove the catcher you plan to buy easily from the shower drain.
Alternatively, you can also opt for machine washable drain protectors as they are easy to clean.
A shower drain protector is a must-have item as it will prevent your drain from clogging. Moreover, you won’t have to look for a plumber to unblock the drain. We hope our reviews will make it easy for you to choose the hair catcher that is perfect for your home.
All the catchers are durable and are reasonably priced. Just remember to clean your hair catcher regularly to prevent bacteria build-up.