If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
The best shower valve not only ensures your shower works properly, it also controls the flow of water and the temperature of your shower effectively. However, trying to replace it if it’s not functioning properly can be a puzzle on its own.
- Our Top Shower Valve Reviews
- Best Shower Valve Overall: Moen Bathroom Sink Faucet
- Top Shower Valve for the Money: Delta Faucet UNWS 524894
- Best Cheap Shower Valve: Delta Faucet R10000
- Best Pressure Balance Shower Valve: Kohler K-GP77759
- Best Heat-Resistant Shower Valve: Danze Mixing Valve
- Shower Valve Features and Considerations
- Wrap Up
Our Top Shower Valve Reviews
To help you pick the right product, we have reviewed the top shower valves on the market. We’ve also included essential information in this buying guide to help you make an educated choice.
Best Shower Valve Overall: Moen Bathroom Sink Faucet
- LONGSTANDING FLEXIBILITY: Built on the Moen M-PACT common valve system, allowing you to update the...
- ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER: Authentic Moen replacement part
- CONNECTION SIZE: 1/2-inch IPS connections
- PEACE-OF-MIND: Designed for hassle-free installation
The Moen Bathroom Sink Faucet boasts of M-PACT technology that makes changing it a breeze. The technology also ensures long-standing flexibility to make it easy for you to alter the style of the faucet without worrying about plumbing.
You can also use this rough-in-valve with M-Pact widespread features for added convenience. Moreover, it has a ½-inch connection size, while its Duralock quick attachment installation system makes installing this faucet easy.
Once installed, the valve allows you to change to different designs of decorative trim kits with less effort. If you want to switch to a different style, simply untwist the existing trim kit, and then lock the new trim kit firmly in place.
When it comes to durability, the Moen faucet consists of sturdy brass that makes the valves a great addition to your plumbing system. A low flow rate can be annoying and won’t allow you to bath properly.
Fortunately, you can solve such problems with this shower valve as it ensures you enjoy a consistent flow of water. This means your flow rate will be plentiful and also regular without fluctuating. Plus, it comes with a water-saving showerhead to help you boost your water conservation efforts.
One incredible thing about this model is that you can upgrade your shower system without having to replace the valve. You also don’t have to alter your plumbing system once it is installed. If you want a valve that you can install easily and one designed exclusively for shower purposes, get this product.
What We Like
- Ability to switch to different decorative trim kits
- Duralock quick attachment installation system
- The water-saving showerhead
- Does not affect the flow of water
- Solid construction
What We Don’t Like
- Connections to the water source are not included
- Unclear installation instructions
- Small connection size
Top Shower Valve for the Money: Delta Faucet UNWS 524894
- Forged brass body
- Can be tested with air (200 psi) or water (300 psi) using supplied test cap
- For use with 3 or 6 function diverter rough
- Rough-in only, valve sold separately
If you are looking for the perfect shower diverter valve, the Delta Faucet model is an ideal option. It boasts of impressive performance to ensure you have a satisfying shower. Moreover, you can use this valve with six or three setting Delta shower diverter trim.
To ensure quality, this diverter rough uses brass for added strength and sturdiness. The forged brass provides excellent wear and heat-resistance. Due to this, you can be sure that this shower valve will serve you for a long time.
Plus, you don’t have to alter anything when installing it because its universal fitting makes it compatible with your plumbing system. Additionally, if you install this valve, you can upgrade your systemat any time.
Another remarkable thing about this valve is that it comes equipped with a test cap to allow you to test up to 200 psi of air and 300 psi of water. This is a great feature that will enable you to know the best performance of your shower valve when used in different situations.
Additionally, you don’t have to worry about your water flow fluctuating as it ensures a regular flow. This also solves the problem of having a shower head with a low flow rate, which can be annoying when you want to enjoy an invigorating shower.
Although you don’t have to look for a plumber to install the Delta Faucet valve for you, it’s important to note that you will require additional attachments to set up this model successfully. Overall, this is a great shower valve with solid construction and unmatched performance.
What We Like
- Suitable with six or three setting shower diverter trims
- You can install it without changing your current plumbing
- Universal fitting and impressive performance
- Ability to maintain a regular flow rate
- Forged brass for added durability
What We Don’t Like
- Requires additional attachments for installation
- Valve not included (sold separately)
- Poor mounting design
Best Cheap Shower Valve: Delta Faucet R10000
- Complete flexibility: Delta's MultiChoice universal valve gives you flexibility to upgrade your...
- Recommended use: Compatible to meet the needs for the most commonly used plumbing methods and is...
- Universal connection options: 1/2-inch universal inlets accept 1/2-inch copper, 1/2-inch iron pipe,...
- Valve body only: Valve body only, required cartridge is included with your Delta shower trim of...
The Delta Faucet R10000 is ideal for a shower or tub and will allow you to enjoy limitless possibilities. You can upgrade the style or functionality of your showering system without altering the plumbing in your bathroom wall.
This shower valve also consists of brass, making it robust, durable, as well as resistant to corrosion and wear. It may interest you to know that the construction material contains antimicrobial properties to protect you from water-borne diseases such as bacterial infections.
Additionally, the versatile design of this universal tub makes it compatible with single and a dual thermostatic cartridge. However, it’s important to note that you have to purchase the matching cartridge and trim separately.
Like the Danze shower valve, this model also has back-to-back installation functionality. It also boasts of three connection types including Universal, and PEX to give you several connection options to suit different types of plumbing.
To make installation less frustrating, Delta offers a comprehensive and easy to understand guide that you can follow along. There is also a pressure test-cap resistant to heat to allow you to test water or air before installing the valve cartridge.
This is crucial as it ensures you reduce the chances of installing the valve wrongly. If you are looking for a shower valve that does not require you to change your plumbing system, get this product. It is also versatile as it is compatible with most shower trims and offers universal connection options.
What We Like
- Ability to upgrade your shower without changing the plumbing
- The antimicrobial properties that prevent water-borne diseases
- Compatibility with a single and dual thermostatic cartridge
- The back-to-back installation functionality
- The three connection types
What We Don’t Like
- The matching cartridge and trim not included
- No flow adjustment
- Some plastic parts
Best Pressure Balance Shower Valve: Kohler K-GP77759
- Protect the on KOHLER products, always look for the KOHLER GENUINE PARTS logo
- Compatible with most Rite-Temp shower valves
- Temperature limit stop provides temperature control for safety while allowing maximum water...
- Provides smooth shower handle rotation
The Kohler K-GP77759 comes with several incredible features to ensure you have the most enjoyable showering experience. The Rite-Temp feature prevents the valve from freezing and boiling as it ensures that it maintains the right temperature. It is also versatile because it accepts most Rite-Temp shower valves.
It also has the temperature limit stop feature that controls water temperature for safety, while ensuring optimal water temperature. You may also appreciate the pressure control functionality that prevents the high water temperature from scalding your skin when showering.
This functionality also ensures your water flow rate remains the same without fluctuating. This pressure balance shower also comes with integral stops so that you can stop the water flow instantly, especially when you want to perform other shower-related activities such as washing your hair.
The Kohler shower valve is also a great choice if you have a modern bathroom. It is designed to enhance durability and maintain the original performance even after prolonged use. Its sturdy construction also gives you unmatched bathing experience whenever you are using your showering area.
This valve can also fit the Kohler trim, however; you will have to buy it separately. One good thing about this model is that it allows you to rotate the shower handle effortlessly. Kohler genuine parts are also available for purchase.
While this shower valve is affordable, you will have to spend extra money to buy the handle and pressure balance valves. However, you need to be very careful when looking for these valves to avoid buying fake imitations.
What We Like
- The temperature limit stop and pressure control feature
- Compatibility with most Rite-Temp shower valves
- Availability of Kohler genuine part
- The smooth shower handle rotation
- Perfect for modern bathrooms
What We Don’t Like
- Does not come with some accessories
- Defective mixer cap
- Plastic construction
Best Heat-Resistant Shower Valve: Danze Mixing Valve
- Combination 1/2" copper sweat/IPS 4-port hook up.
- Temperature Limit Adjustment
- Back to Back Installation Feature
- Mounting Bracket & Plaster Guard Included Standards:
The Danze Mixing Valve features a lower and upper disc that slides against each other to control temperature and the flow of water. It uses quality hardened ceramic for maximum durability and requires low-maintenance as you only need to wipe it with a dry cloth.
This mixing valve can also endure years of washing and rinsing, as well as, scrubbing. If you live in an area with hard water, this valve can be an excellent choice because the ceramic material makes it resistant to corrosion.
One great feature you may like is its temperature limit adjustment functionality that will allow you to shower with the temperature that is ideal for you. Additionally, this feature acts as a scald protector. So, if you accidentally set your water temperature too high and forget to adjust it, this feature will prevent you from sustaining burns.
Moreover, if you have a tub, hand shower, or single shower, the design of this pressure shower valve makes it the perfect pick. Its back-to-back setup feature is another great functionality worth mentioning. With this feature, you can install your valve with ease within a few seconds.
Also, the included plaster guard and mounting bracket simplify the process further. The Danze valve also comes with a positive control diverter and ½ inches copper sweat/IPS ports. We also like that this valve features reverse flow adjustments on the front side to make installation easy.
Overall, this valve will ensure your flow rate remains consistent due to its pressure balance capabilities. If you are looking for a valve that will prevent your shower pressure from reducing, consider purchasing this product.
What We Like
- The lower and upper disc that controls the flow rate
- The temperature limit adjustment functionality
- Easy to maintain and corrosion-resistant
- The included attachments
- Perfect for hard water areas
What We Don’t Like
- Hot water does not adjust correctly
- Tends to leak over time
- Issues with quality
Shower Valve Features and Considerations
Different shower heads are available in the market which can make picking the right model difficult. The following are the factors you should consider when looking for the best shower valve.
Type of Shower Valve
First, it’s crucial to decide the type of shower valve you want since different types are available including:
- Diverter Valve: This valve is an excellent choice if you have a bathtub with a faucet and want to enjoy a relaxing shower instead of a bath. The valve directs water towards your showerhead since it diverts it from the faucet.
- Pressure-Balancing Valve: This valve ensures your water flow rate remains consistent without fluctuating either from a full blast of water to a slow trickle or vice versa.
- Thermostatic Shower Valve: This valve prevents your water temperature from changing when you are showering even when someone turns on other taps in the house.
Number of Controls
Shower valves feature different control settings.
For example, the pressure-balancing valves have one control mode, while others feature up to three controls to allow you to adjust water pressure or temperature.
Before choosing your shower valve, ensure it uses quality materials. It should also have solid construction to serve you for a long period.
Commonly used materials include soldered metal and brass.
Regardless of your choice, ensure the material is resistant to corrosion and heat.
Some shower valves come with handles, trim and other attachments. If you decide to go for a valve that has a handle, check whether the handle is comfortable and easy to use. This will help you determine its performance.
All the products on our list offer impressive performance and are durable to give you an unforgettable bathing experience. Whether you want a shower valve that can help you maintain your water pressure or regulate the temperature, you will find a product that fits your needs.