If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Acrylic showers are made out of combining resin and glass fibers that undergo heat, stretch, and vacuum, to bring out the final shape. Unfortunately, appealing acrylic showers are prone to mold & mildew build-up. Therefore, you need to adapt proper cleaning methods to eradicate them.
- How to Clean Acrylic Shower?
- Method 1: Cleaning With Vinegar & Water
- Method 2: Cleaning Acrylic Shower With Lemon
- Method 3: Clean Acrylic Shower With Commercial Cleaner
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Clean Acrylic Shower?
Acrylic is plastic with a reacting property in contact with abrasive chemicals and different readymade cleaning products. Therefore, appropriate cleaning methods and solutions are recommended, especially for Acrylic showers. Apart from that, acrylic showers might also experience unintentional damages or scratches by using false cleaning procedures.
So, to ensure that you are doing it the right way, it is better to learn how to clean acrylic shower through this guide.
Method 1: Cleaning With Vinegar & Water
Vinegar is referred to be as the antidote for treating mildew and mold growth. It is probably the best home remedy for cleaning acrylic showers without much hassle. Follow the steps to understand this cleaning approach better:
Step 1: Prepare the Vinegar & Water Mixture
- Take ordinary vinegar solution in a bowl.
- Combine equal parts of white vinegar & warm water.
- Mix it well and fill it in the spray bottle.
- Shake the spray bottle well to mix the two liquids properly.
Step 2: Apply On Dirty Areas or Spots
- Spray the solution over the dirty spots of the acrylic shower surfaces.
- Address the tough visible spots, and cover them with spray.
- Do not miss spraying around the drain area or shelving.
- Spray the cracks, crevices, and other small gaps.
- Let the solution settle down on all areas for around half an hour.
- For heavier build-up, you will need to let it sit for more than 2 hours.
Step 3: Scrub & Clean the Acrylic Shower Surface
- Use a soft cloth for the scrubbing purpose. (Microfiber cloth is preferable)
- Wipe off the acrylic shower surfaces to remove the loose residues.
- Maintain a circular motion while wiping the surface.
- Apply pressure on tough stained areas.
- Use the corner of the cloth to reach out to tricky corners.
- Rinse the acrylic shower surface with hot water.
Check out the entire execution of this cleaning process in this YouTube video. It will give you a better understanding of the steps.
Method 2: Cleaning Acrylic Shower With Lemon
As acrylic plastics are soft materials, lemon or citrus cleaning measures would be best suited for them. Lemon is a light cleaning agent and has no adverse effects on acrylic plastic. In addition, the natural acids within lemon juice are quite safe for the cleaning procedure too.
Step 1: Prepare the Lemon Cleaning Solution
- Cut a big lemon piece into half from the middle.
- Pick out the seeds from the lemon before moving on with scrubbing.
- Grip it from the peel-side, and you can directly apply it onto the acrylic surface.
Step 2: Rub Lemon on the Shower Surface
- Rub the half-sliced lemon directly on the targeted spots.
- Press and squeeze out the juice over the acrylic surface.
- It will break up the mineral deposits, molds, and hard water stains.
- Use multiple lemon slices to cover the entire acrylic shower area.
- Let the lemon juice settle down on the acrylic surface for around 20 minutes.
- The longer you let it soak, the better will be the cleaning results.
Step 3: Rinse the Acrylic Shower
- Flush out every surface of the shower with warm water.
- It is to get rid of the lemon juice or pulp over the surface.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe off the acrylic shower surface again.
- The shower should be pristine and clean by now. If not, repeat the whole process, and let the lemon juice settle down for quite a long time.
Method 3: Clean Acrylic Shower With Commercial Cleaner
If you are not getting the desired cleanliness with the home remedies, then commercial products should come into play. Here’s what you need to do:
- Buy a non-abrasive acrylic shower cleaning solution.
- Use the spray bottle to apply the solution directly onto the target spots. (Most commercial products come with a spray bottle)
- Apply the solution thoroughly around the acrylic surface.
- Let the cleaner solution settle down on the acrylic surface for around 10 minutes.
- The solution will start dissolving the mess over the surface.
- You can now run the shower head and direct it to the walls or other areas to rinse it properly.
- Once rinsing is over, wipe the residues with a clean microfiber cloth while you rinse it with water.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub away tough stains.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Lemon Juice Available at the Stores for Cleaning Acrylic Showers?
You can use commercial lemon juice for cleaning acrylic showers. However, squeezing the fresh lemon juice onto the acrylic surface by rubbing the slices is a better option. The lemon juices available in the market are not fresh and pure, which might not result in effective cleaning outcomes.
What Commercial Cleaners Can I Use For Cleaning the Acrylic Showers?
The commercial cleaners you can use to clean acrylic showers are dishwashing detergent, CLR kitchen & bath cleaner, and power bathroom cleaner solutions. All of these solutions are non-abrasive and are proficient when applied with a soft sponge or cloth.
How Long Do Acrylic Bathtubs Last?
Acrylic bathtubs are a popular inclusion in all of such showers. With proper maintenance and timely cleaning, the acrylic bathtubs can last for around 10 to 15 years. To know more about acrylic bathtubs over fiberglass tubs, refer to this post.
Even though acrylic showers are pretty famous for their appealing texture and design, people are concerned about the proper cleaning procedures as they are very sophisticated.
Therefore, it is advisable to follow the methods above provided in this guide to get the desired results. And you can save the expense of hiring professionals too.
So what are you waiting for? Re-read the methods again and get into the cleaning mode!