As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Acrylic sinks do have the potential to be stain-resistant and durable. Therefore, they have become a popular choice for most homeowners. But, even with all the durability, you need to clean and take proper care of the acrylic sinks. It is to help preserve the appearance.
Maintaining an acrylic sink is pretty much easy in order to help you increase its longevity. So, if you have an acrylic sink in your house, then knowing your maintenance, care, and cleaning options for it is pretty efficient.
- How to Clean an Acrylic Sink
- Frequently Asked Question
How to Clean an Acrylic Sink
Acrylic sinks are also of different types, one of which is the cast acrylic sink. These sinks are acrylic but replicate the appearance of porcelain. And, homeowners can get a sink with the look of porcelain without any risk of chipping or scratching.
Acrylic sinks are composite and are available in many colors to meet the requirements of homeowners.
Irrespective of your choice, you need to have an idea to maintain the sink over time. If you don’t maintain it with a minimal expense, you might need to replace it very often at a gradually higher expense.
Therefore, learn how to clean an acrylic sink through this guide. It will help you understand the easy cleaning approaches to finalize your decision to buy the best acrylic sinks.
Method 1: Cleaning With Mild Dishwashing Detergent
The first step is to use the most common and highly efficient remedy, dishwashing detergent. It is mainly used for cleaning different objects and household appliances. The steps are as follows:
Step 1: Prepare the Sink for Cleaning Purpose
- The first step is to wipe out all the visible residues from the acrylic sink.
- You must remove all the food particles or hair from the sink surface.
- You can use a damp cloth to wipe the sink before carrying out the actual cleaning process.
Step 2: Prepare the Cleaning Solution
- You will need around one squirt of dishwashing detergent, preferably a mild one.
- Mix it up with one-quart warm water within a container or bowl.
- Stir the mixture well to dilute the dishwashing detergent.
- You can also keep tile cleaner spray by the side to use it alternatively for enhanced cleaning.
Step 3: Apply the Solution Over the Acrylic Sink
- Dampen a cloth in that soapy solution.
- Wring out the excess solution from the cloth.
- Wipe the sink’s interior surface.
- Now, spray the tile cleaner over the interior of the acrylic sink.
- Wipe it off with a clean cloth.
Step 4: Rinse & Clean the Acrylic Sink
- You can now rinse the acrylic sink with clean water.
- It is to remove all the cleaner and dishwashing detergent residue from the surface of the sink.
- Now, use a fresh cloth to wipe and dry the acrylic sink.
Step 5: Eradicate the Greasy Texture From the Acrylic Sink
- For the final cleaning touch, apply alcohol and rub the oily or greasy spots with the use of a soft cloth.
- It would be best if you rubbed the alcohol onto the greasy spot to remove the residue.
- Now, you need to rinse it again with clean water.
- After you are over with rinsing, you need to dry it!
- With the use of rubbing alcohol, you will remove any of the paint or ink stains over it.
Method 2: Cleaning the Sink With Chlorine Bleach
You can clean the acrylic sinks with the use of bleach solution as well. You just need to adapt the proper steps to understand the proportion that you have to use. The steps include:
- Chlorine bleach is preferably an ideal solution for removing tough stains.
- You need to fill the acrylic sink with warm water and then add a cap full of chlorine bleach into the sink water.
- Leave the bleach and water to settle down in the sink for around 3 minutes.
- Now, you must use a sponge dipped in bleach water to scrub out the tough stains.
- You need to scrub with bleach water present in the sink.
- Make sure you use gloves to avoid getting your skin to come in contact with the bleach solution.
- Drain out the water, and then rinse the sink.
- Use a dry cloth for buffing the acrylic sink to revive its shine.
Method 3: Cleaning the Sink With Vinegar & Water Spray
Vinegar is an acidic cleaning agent that is favorable for cleaning not just sinks but also toilets, toilet tanks, bathroom floors, watermarks, and others. And here are the steps for you to follow in order to clean the acrylic sinks:
Step 1: Get the Supplies Ready
- White vinegar
- Hot water
- Rag or sponge
- Essential oils- optional
- Empty spray bottle
Step 2: Prepare the Solution of Vinegar & Water
- It would be best if you dried the acrylic sink first before you start with the cleaning approach.
- You need to prepare a solution in a 2:1 ratio. It means that you need to mix 1 part of vinegar and two parts of water.
- Also, it would help if you remembered that there should always be more water than vinegar in the solution mixture.
- You can prefer to add two or three drops of any essential oil, as per your choice. You can add it at the time of preparing the solution. It is to add aromatic presence to the vinegar spray mixture to pass it onto your acrylic sink.
Step 3: Spray the Solution Over the Acrylic Sinks
- Spray all the areas of your acrylic sink with the solution.
- You should wet all the sides of the acrylic sink.
- You will then have to let the spray settle down over the acrylic sinks for around 5 to 10 minutes. Leave it for more time if there are caked or stubborn stains over the sink.
Step 4: Drain the Sink & Rinse It With Clean Water
- Drain the water from your acrylic sink.
- Wet a rag or sponge with clean water to wipe all the sides of your acrylic sink.
- You need to scrub the rag over any stain in the sink, to remove it with gentle pressure.
- If the stains are not out, you can repeat the process and let the solution settle for a little more time.
The best thing about vinegar is that it is natural. Therefore, you do not have to worry about any kind of damage to the acrylic sink.
Here is a YouTube video of a lady showing you the steps to clean an acrylic kitchen sink to make you understand better. Follow the guidance, and you will learn the right way of utilizing the cleaning approach.
Frequently Asked Question
Are There Any Disadvantages of Using Acrylic Sinks?
Acrylic sinks do have some cons, just like they have several pros. Acrylic material allows the makers to craft the sink in any shape. Hence, this versatility is one top perk of this material. But they are not that durable, just like steel or enamel.
In fact, acrylic sinks are not feasible to withstand the flow of any petroleum materials. Therefore, homeowners should not wash their paintbrushes over these sinks.
How Long Does an Acrylic Sink Last?
Acrylic sinks, with ideal maintenance, tend to last for years. In fact, these sinks can last for around 50 years or more. But it totally depends upon how the homeowners use them.
If they roughly use the sink, like banging the utensils over it while washing them or handling the sink roughly while periodic cleaning, then the life span might deteriorate. Many other materials, such as steel, enamel, and others, can last even more.
It all depends upon how you maintain the sink.
Cast Iron & Acrylic Sink; Which Is Better?
Cast iron sinks consist of an iron-base casing within the enamel body. These sinks are very much durable and can withstand heavy use. But, acrylic sinks offer the flexibility of adding design, appeal, and color to the house.
The homeowners who do not have any robust use of the sink prefer adding glamour to their home with acrylic options. To know more about the differences between these two sink types, don’t forget to go through this write-up!
If you have an acrylic sink at your house and are concerned about its cleaning, then put an end to it. Now that you are aware of the ideal methods to carry out the cleaning procedure, you won’t need professional help anymore.
Therefore, make sure that you keep your acrylic sinks clean, tidy, and free from stains to last for a lifetime.