As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Carpet cleaners have their perks, but they also involve a lot of hassle, even if you want to clean a small spot on the carpet. Keeping the hassle aside, they also use harsh chemicals that can affect the quality of the fabric and the weave. These chemicals can also irritate sensitive skin. Wondering how to clean carpet without carpet cleaners? Then, you are at the right place.
- How To Clean Carpet Without a Machine
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Clean Carpet Without a Machine
The whole approach will demand some physical strength and a few of your daily household items. The mechanisms are not only pocket friendly but weave friendly, too, as the carpet fiber can be sensitive towards harsh chemicals, so this approach is very beneficial to prolong the fiber’s life.
- White vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Dish soap
- Water (hot/warm)
- A container (bucket/bowl)
- High absorbing paper towels
- A scrub brush
- Vacuum cleaner
Step 1: Use White Vinegar And Water
A solution made by using equal parts of white vinegar and water can sanitize, disinfect and deodorize without a carpet cleaner.
- Start by using a vacuum cleaner over the carpet to remove any extra dust and dirt inside the fibers.
- Take a large bowl and mix water (warm/hot) and vinegar in equal parts.
- Vinegar is an excellent cleaner; make sure you use the white one to avoid any damage to the fiber.
- Now take a scrub brush or your choice or a toothbrush for small areas, and dip it into the solution. Start scrubbing the carpet in circular motions.
- Repeat the above step until the stain is completely gone. Avoid saturation of the stain; use minimal water just for scrubbing.
- Use a dry cloth or paper towel to absorb the moisture from the treated area. It will ensure quick drying of the carpet.
Step 2: Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the favorite all-natural cleaning ingredients of homeowners. This ingredient can do wonders to treat musty odors and maintain a refreshing aura.
Follow these steps to disinfect and deodorize your carpet at home.
- Use the vacuum to remove the dust and dirt from the fibers of the carpet.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the carpet until the stain is completely covered.
- Fill a container with warm or hot water to saturate the stain.
- Choose a scrub brush of your choice and dip it in the bowl of water; now, start scrubbing gently until a lather is being formed. Keep an eye on the stain, do not spread it while scrubbing.
- Either use a dryer or let the natural air do its wonders. Natural drying might take some extra time.
- Once the carpet is thoroughly dried, you can use a vacuum cleaner to clean the remaining particles of baking soda on the carpet.
Here is a video guide demonstrating the tips and tricks of cleaning the carpet naturally.
How Long Should It Take To Clean Your Home?
Step 3: Use Dish Soap
In case of deep greasy stains, nothing is better than a dish soap to clean that nasty stain. This household item can be really beneficial to make those carpet colors glow.
- Start with vacuuming the carpet to remove any extra dirt and dust.
- Take a bowl and mix one tablespoon of dish soap with one-quarter of water, preferably warm.
- Move on by adding a quarter tablespoon of vinegar to the mixture.
- Before applying the mixture to the whole carpet, test it on a small portion. Leave a little solution on the carpet and wait for it to dry; it will determine if the solution is safe for the carpet or not.
- Now dip a scrub brush and start scrubbing in circular motions.
- After the stain vanishes completely, use the dry towel to absorb extra water. It will speed the drying process.
Step 4: Use Salt and Club Soda
When it comes to accidental spills, salt and club soda come in handy. In case of wet spills, try to go for instant cleaning before the liquid penetrates deeply into the weave.
- Take a high-absorbent towel and blot club soda onto the spill. Do not scrub; this step is necessary to dilute the stain and bring the good portions up.
- Start sprinkling salt on the affected potion until it is not visible anymore.
- Leave the area to dry, as the hygroscopic nature of salt will absorb the liquid.
- Make sure the carpet is completely dry. Now vacuum the salt away, and you will notice that the stain has completely vanished.
This method can also remove the red wine stains from carpet.
Step 5: Use Snow
The fluffy powder-like snow will not remove the dirt and stains nearly as well as the above methods, and the weather is another limitation applied to this particular option.
- Roll the stained carpet that you are determined to clean.
- Now carry the carpet outside and shake to lose the dust off.
- Place it on the ground over the snow, dirty side facing downwards.
- Cover the upper side of the carpet with snow by using a broom. The layer should be approximately 5-10cm thick.
- Now beat the upper side of the carpet with the broom. This will harden the dirt trapped inside the fiber, and it will easily fall out.
- Keep the carpet covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Now flip the carpet and repeat the above steps.
- Once the process is complete, hand the rug and allow the snow to evaporate naturally. The time consumed to dry will depend on the weather conditions.
- Now reposition the carpet at home and vacuum it. It will make sure the carpet is fully dirt-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Possible To Remove Dried Red Wine Stain?
If you are lazy and do not clean the stain until next, it becomes challenging to remove that dried red wine stain. In this case, the stain needs to be saturated with hot water, further applying a spot treatment solution and a cleaning solution rich in oxygen. This has to be used from 2 to 10 hours to make sure the stain is completely gone.
When Should I Choose A Professional Cleaner For My Carpet?
If your carpet is made up of a delicate material, it is always better to call a professional for help as the DIY tips and tricks might harm those delicate weaves of the carpet. It is advisable to do a deep cleaning every six months, and a professional approach can give you better results.
Now you have hands-on knowledge about a quick cleaning process in case of accidental staining. Experiment and decide which mechanism is best for your carpet. Timing is the key, and if you wait too long to clean those accidents up, the stains will stay to remind you of your mistakes to you and your pocket.