As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The era of tinted house windows is now changing the face of the residential complexes or buildings. Tinted windows are cost-efficient in terms of upgrading your home interior. You do not need to replace the windows completely, as getting them tinted will enhance the overall look.
In fact, as the efficacy of these tinted windows is impeccable, the cleaning efforts for the same are also complex and tiring. But cleaning is important in order to maintain the shine and appeal of the tinted house windows.
- How to Clean Tinted House Windows
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Clean Tinted House Windows
Tinted house windows are not just appearance boosters but are also privacy enhancers. Not just that, but tinted windows in your house, also contribute to saving money on utility bills.
The bills are reduced as it blocks a gradual amount of solar heat and UV light, making your house cooler, even during hot summers.
This, in turn, makes you less dependent on the air-conditioners and fans. Therefore, if you maintain and clean the tinted house windows over periodic intervals, you can expect them to last for 10-15 years.
In order to retain all of the efficacies, it is essential for you to learn how to clean tinted house windows. And this guide will help you with precise knowledge of the available methods and steps.
Method 1: Cleaning With White Vinegar and Mild Dishwashing Liquid
White vinegar and mild dishwashing liquid are ideal options to clean the tinted windows. But you need to know the process of approach! It is to ensure that you do not damage the windows and mix the correct proportion of the cleaning solutions.
The steps for this method include:
Step 1: Get the Supplies for Cleaning Approach
- It would help if you had a microfiber cloth or a lint-free cotton cloth. In general, microfiber cloths are great to have on hand for cleaning a variety of glass items, such as your collection of camera lenses, sunglasses, or phone screens.
- A step ladder and telescopic pole would be useful if the window is at a height.
- Get some empty spray bottles for spraying the cleaning solution.
- A rubber squeegee for wiping out the excess solution from the glasses.
- White Vinegar
- Mild Dishwashing Liquid or Distilled Water
You will need these supplies to carry on with the cleaning process of your tinted windows and can be similarly applied in other types like frosted windows. When you have them all, move on to the next step.
Step 2: Prepare the Cleaning Solution
- Take 2 cups of distilled water in a container.
- Add three tablespoons of vinegar solution into it.
- Now, add ½ tablespoon of mild dishwashing liquid into it.
- Stir the mixture well to mix them all together.
- Now, fill that solution into an empty spray bottle.
Step 3: Spray Over the Glass
- Use the spray bottle to spray the solution on the tinted window surface.
- Now, make use of a microfiber cloth for wiping the spray solution from the glass surface.
- It will loosen the dirt, dust, and debris that accumulates over the tinted window surface.
- Now, use a squeegee to wipe out the soapy solution from the surface of the tinted house window.
- Use the squeegee in a vertical & horizontal motion, from top to bottom and side-to-side. It is to eradicate the soapy solution off the surface of tinted windows.
- You can also make use of a dry, soft, and clean cloth to remove any kind of lather from the window panes and the frames.
Step 4: Rinse the Tinted Window and Dry It
- Now, fill another spray bottle with clear distilled water.
- Use it to spray over the glass surface for the rinsing process.
- Now, make use of a squeegee to remove excess water from the glass surface.
- A microfiber cloth is useful for wiping, cleaning, and drying the window glasses.
- Make sure you do not leave any wet areas over the frame or sills. It is because leaving wetness behind will result in deterioration of the material, and you will even spot tough watermarks.
Method 2: Cleaning the Tinted House Windows With Vinegar
Vinegar is a universal agent, preferable for cleaning different essentials. Therefore, it is a good solution for you to consider cleaning the carpets and windows.
Vinegar is ideal for removing nicotine stains from the surface of tinted house windows, as well as stains from the carpet. Moreover, it is also suitable for helping you preserve the film or tint over the windows while cleaning them. The steps to use vinegar for the cleaning process include:
- You will need a spray bottle to mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in it.
- If you do not want the smell of vinegar to remain upon the glasses, you can prefer adding three lemon-rinds. Following that, you can also consider adding few drops of essential oil, as per your desire.
- When you have added all the contents to the spray bottle, close the lid and shake it well.
- You need to then let the solution settle within the bottle for at least a week. So, it would be best to keep in mind to plan early to clean the tinted house windows.
- Now, you can spray the solution over the tinted windows and then let it settle down over the glass for few minutes.
- The nicotine or any other such stain will disintegrate and will loosen over the glass surface.
- After the waiting time, you should then use a non-abrasive cloth or sponge for rubbing the glass surface to break the stains and eradicate them.
- When you are over with removing the stains, use a squeegee to clean the solution off the tinted windows.
- Now, you can polish the windows with a microfiber cloth and remove any such wet spots over the frame or sill of the window.
Method 3: Cleaning the Glue of Tinted House Windows
If you intend to replace the tinting film over the windows, then you need first to extract the existing ones. And when you do that, you will eventually leave some glue residues over the windows.
Therefore, before you can install the replaced tinted films over the windows, it is important for you to get rid of the glue residues. The steps for the same are:
- To begin with this method, you need to remove any kind of furnishing that is either around or in front of the window.
- You need to cover the carpet as well to ensure that it doesn’t encounter any damage during the cleaning process.
- You will need acetone solution or nail polish remover for the process.
- Dip a clean microfiber cloth to soak it with acetone.
- Now, use the cloth to wipe the window surface in a circular motion to get rid of the glue. It will demand patience and time from you, as some glue residues are too stubborn for easy removal.
- Repeat the previous step for as much time as possible until you experience a clean and sparkling glass.
- When you obtain that, you can go ahead and install the new film or tint to the windows. It will revive the privacy and appealing look of your house.
You can always get a visual demonstration of this cleaning measure. Access this YouTube video from this link and check all the steps execution that you just learned from this article.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Commercial Window Cleaners for Cleaning the Tinted Windows?
Yes, you can use commercial window cleaners, but there are some regulations that you should keep in mind. You need to check the content side of the commercial products.
Also, you need to opt for the mild ones at all times. Along with that, you should also keep in mind to check whether the solution is free from ammonia or not.
What Are the Common Problems That I Will Face Upon Installing Tinted Windows?
The most common problems that arise with the window tints are:
- Bubbles out of air/soapy solution
- Water spots
There is a solution for all, but you need to ensure that you are doing proper maintenance of these windows. Timely cleaning and other maintenance aspects need attention at all times. To know the appropriate process of fixing these common problems, you can go through this write-up.
So, if you have tinted windows at your residence and they are looking dull and stained, you need to clean them today! But without the right approach, you will only do more damage than fixing.
Therefore, the first step is to learn the process and be patient while executing it. If you are doing it at home, you need precision and time to guarantee success.
You would not want to ruin your windows in the process of cleaning them. Would you? So, choose the convenient method and get along with it safely.