As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Most mops come with a bucket to hold the cleaning solution that you need to use for cleaning your floors. Some manufacturers offer mop buckets with additional features such as a wringer or a chamber for dirty water.
Using the mop bucket correctly is important because it helps you mop your floors efficiently and achieve the best. It also helps you utilize the mop bucket’s additional features optimally and reduce the floor cleaning solution’s wastage.
How to Use a Mop Bucket
There are different types of mop buckets available in the market and the method of using them can vary from model to model. Here’s how you can use different types of mop buckets effectively.
Single Chamber Bucket
The simplest type of mop bucket offers a single compartment that carries your floor cleaning solution. You can use the following steps to use a single chamber mop bucket.
- Inspect the bucket to make sure it’s clean. If it has the residue of the cleaning solution that you used on your previous mopping day, consider cleaning it thoroughly using detergent and water.
- Fill the bucket with hot water and pour a few drops of mixing solution into it. Read the manufacturer’s recommendations to find the exact water to floor cleaner ratio.
- Place the bucket in the far corner of the room. It’ll allow you to mop your way out of a room and avoid stepping on the mopped area. Leave some space between the bucket and the wall so that it doesn’t get in your way.
- Move the bucket away from the wall once you have mopped the area that you left between them. Don’t place the bucket on the mopped area.
- Use the same technique to cover the entire room’s floor.
- Once you’re done cleaning, discard the dirty water and wash the bucket using clean water and detergent.
- Let the bucket dry and store it in a cool and dry spot.
Single Spin Mop Bucket
You can also find single spin mop buckets on the market that offer a single chamber containing a wringer. These buckets are not meant to hold your cleaning solution. They’re used to wring the spin mop to remove excess water. The following steps will help you use this type of bucket effectively.
- Make sure that your single spin mop bucket is clean and the wringer isn’t clogged with dirt.
- Place the mop in the cleaning solution and let it soak.
- After that, place the mop on the wringer and start spinning it using the pedal or handle, depending on your model. It’ll remove the excess water and your mop will be ready to use.
- Use the same steps every time you need to wring your spin mop and make sure that you wash your bucket once the mopping process is completed.
Dual Compartment Mop Bucket
Dual compartment mop buckets offer ease of use as they have two separate chambers. One chamber holds your cleaning solution and the other one features a wringer. These buckets come in different styles and here’s how you can use them.
Dual Compartment Bucket with Spinning Wringer
Most dual compartment mop buckets that come with a spin mop offer one chamber for the cleaning fluid and the other one offers a wringer. You can use the steps listed below to use this type of mop bucket.
- Wash the bucket if it’s not clean.
- Add hot water to the cleaning solution’s chamber and pour in a few drops of floor cleaner.
- Dip the spin mop head in the bucket and spin it using a handle or pedal to soak the solution thoroughly.
- Place the mop head in the wringer and spin it again to remove excess water.
Don’t forget to wash your bucket before storing it after mopping the floor.
Dual Compartment Bucket with Simple Wringer
The wringer compartment of these buckets doesn’t offer the spinning feature to remove water. This type of bucket is commonly used for string or strip mops and it’s available in different styles, such as funnel-type, side press and reverse press wringer. Here’s how you can use them.
- Wash your bucket if needed and fill its cleaning solution’s chamber with hot water.
- Add floor cleaner to make the cleaning solution and dip your mop head in it.
- Place your wet mop head in the funnel-type winger and press it down using the handle to remove excess water. If your bucket has a reverse press wringer or side press wringer, you’ll need to use the lever to wring the mop head.
Never leave the dirty water in the bucket after mopping. Discard it and wash the bucket thoroughly and store it once dried.
What to Look for When Buying a Mop Bucket
There are a few features that you need to consider while buying a new bucket. If you have a spin mop, we recommend you go with a dual compartment bucket that features a spinning wringer. Whereas, you should opt for a dual compartment bucket with a simple wringer if you have a string or strip mop.
While you can buy a single compartment bucket, you’ll need to wring your mop head using your hands. It can be a time-consuming and hectic process and it’ll make you tired if you need to mop a big floor.
A handle and wheels are two more features that your mop bucket should have. These features will keep you from going through the hassle of carrying the heavy basket while mopping and allow you to move it quickly.
Additionally, you should also consider the durability of the material. High-quality buckets will cost you a few more bucks but they last a long time and save you money in the long run.
Mop buckets come in different styles and it’s important to understand how they work and how to use them correctly.
Not only will it allow you to mop your floor efficiently and save time but it’ll also help you choose the right style while buying a new bucket.
Make sure that you clean your mop bucket after every use to keep it clean and prevent mold and bacteria buildup.