If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
These days, having a smart phone has virtually become a basic necessity for most. The smart phone has changed the way we go about our day and interact with the world.
Increasingly, the focus has become all about having a smart home. While we are not living in the robotic house age just yet, you can still smarten up your house with these must have smart home accessories.
Voice Control Platforms
When you think about smart home accessories, the first thing you may think of is the Amazon Echo. This groundbreaking gadget has raised the standards over the past few years and driven competitors to create similar styled and priced gadgets. During christmas, Amazon lead the sales with the Echo Dot product, followed closely by the Google Home Mini device.
- Echo Dot is a voice-controlled speaker that uses Alexa to play music, control smart home devices,...
- Play music from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio.
- Call or message family and friends hands-free, or drop in from the Alexa App to your Echo device.
When you are figuring out what to purchase, you should decide which device would fit your lifestyle better. If you are constantly placing orders through Amazon and have a PRIME membership then the Echo devices would be a great fit for you. If you aren’t as involved with Amazon, then the Google Home is also a great option. Apple even has a device of their own called the HomePod.
Upgrade your standard wall outlet so you don’t have to get up and turn things on or off. Smart plugs like the TP-Link Smart Plug Mini are able to be commanded by your smart phone or through voice control platforms like the Echo and Google Home. This appliance smart outlet can power up to 120 volt devices and lights.
- Control From Anywhere: Turn electronics on or off from anywhere with your smartphone using the Kasa...
- Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and MicroSoft Cortana supported devices for...
- Compact Design: Won't block the other wall outlet allowing two Smart Plugs to be installed side by...
If you know that you want a light on at a certain time of the day then you can set the smart plug to turn on and off at a scheduled time. This is great for Christmas trees and decorations.
You can also use smart plugs to turn on and off your appliances.
Security systems have always been evolving and changing in order to offer customers the best in security that money can buy. Instead of forking out for a full security package from companies, you can build your own home security with smartphone compatible devices.
The Edison Junior by Ring is a doorbell security camera that sends instant alerts to your phone so that you can see who is at your door. You can be in your home or in a different state. This doorbell camera also has night vision and offers by request live streaming video so you can check in at anytime.
- 720p HD video doorbell that lets you see, hear and speak to people from your phone, tablet, or...
- Get notifications whenever motion is detected by adjusting your motion zones.
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
When you think of smart home accessories, you don’t automatically think of smoke detectors. However, the smart smoke detectors are a must have for any and every home.
The Roost RSA-400 is a wifi enabled smoke detector that connects to your phone. It is a four in one device that detects fast flaming, slow smoldering fires, carbon monoxide and natural gas in the air.
- 120-Volt hardwired with battery back up
- 4-In-1 detection, detects fast flaming and slow smoldering fires, Carbon monoxide and natural gas...
- Fewer false alarms, proprietary microprocessor technology significantly reduces nuisance alarms
Toss out the cheap, standard issue light bulbs. The smart bulb has landed and it is the smart home accessory that you never knew you needed.
With products like the Philips Hue Smart Bulb, you can pair it with your smart phone or a voice command device to wirelessly turn on lights, dim them or set a light timer schedule.
- Enhance your home with soft white lighting, controlled remotely wherever you are. Automate your...
- Each kit contains 2 Philips Hue White A19 60W Energy Star Certified LED Smart bulbs (able to fit...
- To install, simply screw in the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue...
Now that you have all these various smart devices for your home, you need a single way to power and customize them. Enter the Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub. This device is able to power over two hundred different devices in order to make your smart home dreams run smoothly.
- Your smart home needs a brain, so get started with a SmartThings Hub. It connects wirelessly with a...
- Add smart devices and put your home to work. Choose from a wide range of compatible devices,...
- Use the SmartThings app or Amazon Alexa to control your smart home. Teach your house new tricks by...
Hubs not only connect all your devices and accessories to one single device, but it can also set default on and off customizations. For example, open the smart hub app in your phone and select the default “I’m Home” command. This will turn on certain lights, power your Air Conditioning to come on, turn the TV to a specific channel and can even unlock your front door.
There are many different hubs available, just make sure that when purchasing this main device that you find one that is compatible with multiple brands and can allow you to control as many smart devices as you desire.
While a smart hub is a great device to power everything, your smart phone also has the capability to power all the devices just as well. You should start looking for a smart hub once you have multiple devices that need controlling across multiple platforms. For 2-5 devices, a smart phone will be fine.
How Smart Should your Home be?
With the ushering in of the Smart Home generations, how smart should your home be? Instead of going out and buying everything all at once, start with a few basic devices to see if this is something that you like having.
Slowly taking steps towards making your home smart will add convenience and efficiency to your daily life. Start small, being picky about what you chose, and you’ll be able to make the gradual adjustment towards a completely smart home.